What if my pass is lost or stolen?

If you lose your TAP card, call us immediately at (844) 857-BIKE so we can cancel the card and get you a new one. Or, log in to your TAP account and report your lost or stolen TAP card by clicking “My TAP Cards”, navigate to the drop-down menu next to the card you wish to suspend and click “Report Lost or Stolen Card.” Make sure you do this quickly to avoid unauthorized use on your account.